Know Your Rights If You Are Fired In Missouri

Most employees are considered "at will" and can be fired for any reason; at the same time, they can also quit at any time and for any reason. However, your employer is not allowed to fire you because of unlawful discrimination (based on your age, pregnancy, race, etc.). It is also illegal for your employer to fire you for seeking workers' compensation, reporting illegal activity (such as sexual harassment) or exercising other protected rights.

If you have been a victim of wrongful termination, choose a law firm with a reputation for scaling the heights of workplace injustice and righting the most complicated wrongs. Choose Hollingshead & Dudley. From our offices in St. Louis and Kansas City, we can help you fight to regain your job, receive back pay and more. Call 314-474-7798 for an contact us today.

Were You Fired For Reporting Unlawful Activity?

We have filed many lawsuits in federal court related to public employees who have suffered retaliation for "blowing the whistle" on a government agency's wrongdoing. Maybe you reported the chief of police for embezzling money, and you got fired for it, or maybe you told the media about closed-door meetings that violate Sunshine Law, and you were demoted for it.

These "whistleblower cases" are complex, and many law firms will not accept them. However, we do. We have achieved considerable success in whistleblower retaliation cases. Don't let your employer prevent you from speaking out and exercising your First Amendment rights. Contact us for the advocacy you need.

Missouri Provides Even Greater Protections For Non-Government Employees

If you don't work for the government, you are currently entitled to even greater protections under Missouri law. Your employer may not terminate you for reporting unlawful conduct by coworkers or your supervisor. In order to have a claim against your employer, however, it is critical that you report the unlawful conduct to an outside agency (i.e., the police, OSHA, the health department, the Department of Labor, etc.) or to a supervisor.

Likewise, your employer may not terminate you for refusing to perform an illegal act. To have a claim for refusing to perform an illegal act, you must report the request to a higher level supervisor than the one who requested you to engage in unlawful conduct. Ideally, you should report the request to human resources or the highest level manager at the company.

Even If You Chose To Quit, You May Have A Constructive Discharge Case

You may assume that if you quit your job (instead of being fired or laid off), you can't possibly have a wrongful termination case. This is not necessarily true. If your employment conditions were so bad that no reasonable person could have worked there, you do have a case. You have been the victim of a "construction discharge," which is a form of wrongful termination.

If your employer makes your working conditions so miserable that you are essentially forced to quit, you have legal rights and options for pursuing justice.

Breach Of Contract And FMLA Claims

If you were hired under an employment contract, you might be able to file for breach of contract if you are suddenly fired. The contract should specify situations for which an employee can be discharged. We can assess whether you have a breach of contract claim for your previous employment if you have been let go.

Likewise, employers cannot fire at-will employees for filing a claim under the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA). For eligible family medical emergencies or other events, employees can take up to 12 weeks of unpaid leave in one year. Workers who qualify for leave under FMLA cannot be fired for taking allowed time off.

Contact Hollingshead & Dudley For An contact us today

While not every discharged worker will have a valid claim, every employee deserves to have his or her case heard by a qualified attorney. If you think you have been illegally fired, contact our Missouri lawyers by calling 314-474-7798 or contact us by email to contact us today.

Se habla español